Self-Love on Valentine's Day
This is my first Valentine's Day since 2015 being completely unattached, and I have to admit, I was feeling a bit weird about it for a while. I think it's super lovely to celebrate love and relationships, but I also think that being single doesn't mean you have to be left out on Valentine's Day. The biggest thing I learned from my last relationship is that I love people wholeheartedly, 200%, with every bit of effort that I can manage. That goes not just for romantic relationships but also friends and family. The thing is, I have never ever put all of that energy into loving myself. I am always my own worst critic, the harshest about my flaws, the most dismissive of my own needs. Which, frankly, is ridiculous. You get one body and one life, and learning to love yourself is one of the most important things you can do for your mental health and well-being. So, this Valentine's Day, I'm beginning to tackle that very thing. Here are some acts of self-love I'm considering:
- All Dressed Up With Nowhere to Go: I love dressing up. Absolutely love it. So throw on something special that you rarely have occasion to wear! Do your makeup all nice if you want to! Put a little extra into your hair! And then sit and enjoy.
- Movies are Good for the Soul: There's something so satisfying about sitting down to watch your favorite movies. It's a couple of hours solely devoted to something you love. You can bet I'll be watching The Man from UNCLE and The Mummy for the hundredth time. No regrets.
- Have a Good Dinner: Cook yourself a meal or indulge in your favorite foods. I feel like I spend so much time thinking about eating healthy and moderation. Sometimes it's nice to just cook yourself (and maybe your friends too!) a delicious meal without really thinking about it.
- Spa Day to Soothe: Throw on a face mask - or three. Do your nails. Take a nice hot bath with that fancy bubble bath you save for special occasions (or is that just me?) Do a hair mask too just for kicks. Light a candle and let yourself relax.
- Pick Up a Pen: Writing something like a gratitude journal or just an acknowledgement of the things that are great about you or even your achievements is an awesome way to show yourself a little love. This can definitely be a bit challenging, but it is so so worth it.
Have a great Valentine's Day everyone!